By Amadora Gahona*, Seville, Spain.
It is important to know that a part of the citrus sector is in crisis in Europe, specially in producer countries like Spain and Italy. Why? Due to SouthAfrican citrus, specially oranges, can be sold in our countries and in other we export anytime with a preferential treatment by the EU rules.
In this scenario oranges from Valencia (Spain) and other places are still in the tree. Millions of economic losses! Problems for many people, cause of unemployment too.
Here you have the reasons
1) THE ‘ALCORES’. The place we grow sweet and seville oranges is called ‘Alcores’, what means ‘rolling hills’, a great place to concentrate moments of heat and cold due to the shape of the hills.
2) THE SOIL. Our soil is very rich in minerals specially iron and phosphorus. This last gives a special sweetness to the oranges.
3) THE WATER. Our water is abundant. Our town is called ‘Mairena’ that comes from the old Arab ‘Maharana’, what means ‘water from the fountain’, i.e. ‘a place full of water’, a land known by the Romans and then from the Arabs dated from 1247. A place with human presence since 50.000 years due to its wonderful nature and well known by the British because they sold this water to Seville for more than 100 years. Dolmens, a castle, many archaeological remains attest to this…
4) THE CLIMATE. It is Mediterranean, the most extraordinary for oranges, with colder nights for giving beautiful orange color to the fruit.
5) THE ORGANIC CULTIVATION. Gospa Citrus is a certified company in organic cultivation in Mairena del Alcor (Seville, Spain). This organic cultivation is respectful for the environment and guarantees the best quality of oranges without pesticides or other toxic chemicals.
6) THE PASSION AND LOVE we put since the XIX century in our 3rd and 4th generation growing oranges in this farm.
The first photo above all contains our Star Ruby Grapefruits, Navelina Oranges, Nova Mandarins, Gospa Seville Oranges, bicolor rare navelina, rare Seville Oranges and Clemenule Mandarins.